[texbirds] Formosa Tejano Wetlands

  • From: Bob and Ruth Friedrichs <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 21:05:07 -0600

After a successful flamingo run today (missed them twice last week), I stopped
in at Formosa Tejano Wetlands for a quick look.  Some good birds there.

At the stop on the east side of Hwy 172, from the observation tower, there were
9 cackling geese in a mixed flock of Speckled-bellies and Snow Geese.  Further
in the marsh there was an adult Bald Eagle enjoying an aviary dinner.

A bit further north at the big marsh on the west side of Hwy 172, there was a
Least Grebe, a Canvasback, a Ring-necked Duck and lots of Pintails, some teal
and Ruddy Ducks.  A Sora called and 2 Vermilion Flycatchers were showing
nicely. There were 6 species of sparrows scattered about.  On the way out,
there was a Merlin enjoying its dinner and a handsome. Bobcat feasting on a
cottontail dinner. Very enjoyable stop at Tejano Wetlands.

Good birding!
Bob Friedrichs
Palacios / Houston

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at