[texbirds] Following eBird in NW Austin -- Sunday 31st

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:31:21 -0500

It was time to finish off March by getting some new patch birds.
First, Emma Long was very productive despite 100+ people camping and
picnicking. I parked by the restrooms, walked up the shore to the
trailhead, then a little ways up before coming back through the field to my
car. First, Black and Turkey Vultures were scattered on the ground, and a
Ladder-backed Woodpecker was quite loud, leading to my first view of a
Yellow-throated Warbler. Further up near the campground, a Savannah Sparrow
left the ground at my approach and Pied-billed Grebes were floating near
the shore. I heard the first Northern Parula near the beginning of the
trail, but I could not find it. I continued along to where the trail dips
down to a large tree, and a smaller tree is growing off the shore. There, I
heard a second Northern Parula high above me in some dense leaves, that
soon came down to eye level, perching in the open in the smaller tree.
I headed back towards my car, and got the the large, central field. Eastern
Bluebirds were hawking and perched on the wires. I first saw one
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher briefly alight from the top of a power pole, then
another flew across the field, and soon there was a chorus a interacting
birds, showing off their long tails. In the field, there was one Eastern
Meadowlark (later chased by grackles) and a small flock of sparrows. I
noticed one with yellow lores and a different back pattern, a Grasshopper
Sparrow. It and three Savannahs were shortly joined by the Lark Sparrow in
feeding. The Yellow-throated Warblers chased each other into an oak tree in
the fields (with a picnic table underneath), and an Audubon's Warbler was
there too.

Next to the pond by the Quarries Church, where Theresa Bayoud reported
Redheads. I was not disappointed, seeing a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher chased
by a Great-tailed Grackle, numerous ducks (including Blue-winged Teal and
Lesser Scaups), and Chimney Swifts. I got there by taking Balcones Woods
from 183, then Santa Cruz to the gate at Mesa Woods.

Finally, I was looking to add Green Heron (from the listserv) and Solitary
Sandpiper (courtesy of Jane Tillman) at Northwest Park. I dipped, but
Purple Martins, a Sharp-shinned Hawk, and a White-eyed Vireo cheered me up.

Not especially significant, but I was watching golf on TV from Humble, TX
and heard a White-eyed Vireo.

Elliott M. Gordon
ustin, TX