[texbirds] Flycatcher? or?

  • From: Amber Carver <caramb22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Marilyn Turnage <marilynturnage@xxxxxxx>, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 20:06:38 -0600

Hi, All!
I thought I'd weigh in on the mystery "flycatcher" photo that was just
circulated. It's good to ask, and don't worry about affronting anyone.
Birding should be fun, not divisive. I don't know where you were birding,
but I think this is a Bell's Vireo. It could be a different vireo, but I'm
inclined to say not given the notable but muted supercilium + auricular and
contrast between gray head and green body. Either way, it's definitely a
vireo and hence does "catch" flies, if a bit differently than an
Empidonax. Thanks for the nice photos.

-Amber
Denver, CO

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Marilyn Turnage <marilynturnage@xxxxxxx>