[texbirds] Re: Flycatcher? or?

  • From: <jkessler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <txbirds-pics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 21:28:23 -0500

Monte,

I just checked my e-mail and saw your entry and several replies to it. I
know that I am late in getting into the discussion on this bird, but I
wanted to add my comments for whatever they may be worth.

I believe it is a male Tennessee Warbler in breeding plumage based on the
following characteristics:

the bill is cut off by a leaf but appears to be longer and pointed

the curved supercilium extends from behind the eye to the base of the bill

a black eye streak is on both sides of the eye

the area under the eye is white

it is all white from the throat to the under coverts

it appears to have dark tail feathers.

For whatever it is worth, several of us saw a Tennessee Warbler at Quintana
on Wednesday 15 April.

Please let all of us know what the final consensus is. Thank you.

Jim Kessler
Kerrville, TX
ABA and TOS life member since 1976