[texbirds] Flooded field in Waller County- 11/10

  • From: Darrell Vollert <dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 18:50:25 -0800 (PST)

Hello Texbirders,
Returning home from Houston on US290 this afternoon I put the brakes on after
seeing a ton of birds in a flooded field on the north side of the highway in
Waller County. There were Northern Shovelers, 100+ White-faced Ibis, 10+ White
Ibis, Greater Yellowlegs, 5+ American Avocets, and peeps in the flooded field.
There were other ducks in the field as well. A beautiful Harlan's Hawk flew
over the highway when I got out of the car. I did not spend much time scanning
the field, as the highway traffic was whizzing by. I measured the distance of
the field from the Brazos River. It's 2 miles east of the river. The field
should hold water for a while.
Late this afternoon there was a single Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at the Wichita
Ranch stock pond along US290 on the outskirts of Brenham in Washington County.
Darrell Vollert
Chappell Hill