[texbirds] Flooded Rice Fields in Chambers Co 5/10/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 22:06:36 -0400 (EDT)

After getting over 3.5 inches of rain last night and this morning we
decided to get out and check out the flooded fields in Chambers Co. We took TX
61 South from I-10 to TX 65 and went East. A few miles down there were
flooded fields on both sides of the road and there were Bairds, Pectoral, and
White-rumped Sandpipers and W Phalaropes. Both Yellowlegs and most of all lots
 of Franklins Gulls. Must have been at least 30+ in the fields.

Turned South on FM 1941 and just past Fairview Rd is another large field
with even more birds and all of the same as above and some Black-necked
Stilts.

We hit Boy Scout Woods for a couple of hrs and had 12 Warbler specie with a
 good number of Magnolias, A Redstarts, and Ovenbirds. Also quite a few
Red-eyed  Vireos.

On the way home we checked the flooded field on FM 1985 across from the
East Unit of Anahuac NWR. There were 3 Godwits that looked like Hudsonian but
light was going fast so could not be sure, Also had a small flock of what
looked  like Short-billed Dowitchers.

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers  County