[texbirds] Flammulated Owl at SPI Convention Center - Sunday January 13th

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:45:13 -0600

TexBirders,

Although I was supposed to be driving North to Houston from
Harlingen, I could not resist trying for a look at the "resurrected"
Flammulated Owl at the South Padre Island Convention enter.

I arrived about 8 AM to find a heavily overcast sky, gale-force
winds, a light mist, and a small group of people earnestly looking
into a small bushy tree on the South side of the Gardens (across from
the log bench). After several minutes of fruitless searching, I
finally found the dark "blob" that was the owl. Several more minutes
nervously went by before I could actually see that it was an owl. I
finally got enough looks at pieces of the bird from different angles
to identify it.

Then I set up my camera and laughingly began to take about 30
pictures. Unbelievably, a few actually looked like pictures of a
"puffball" bird (new species?). After an hour I left and drove to
Houston, where I sit writing this email.

Two pretty bad photos can be seen at:

www.otterside.com/winter2013

An additional note...I stopped briefly at the Alamo Beach area
described January 1st by Petra Hockey to look for her "green" field
with thousands of Snow/Ross's Geese. I found it just as Petra had
described on the East side of FM 2717 perhaps halfway between its
intersection with 316 and Alamo Beach. They were way, way, way out in
the field (perhaps a half mile or more?), so I could not identify
them as I left my scope at home! But, they are still in the area, if
anyone wants to see a "Blue" Ross's Goose...

Enjoy! Tomorrow, hopefully the Calliope Hummingbird at Russ Pitman Park...

Erik Breden
Harlingen, Texas (currently in Bellaire/Houston)