[texbirds] Flammulated Owl - SPI today

  • From: "Jean Martin" <jeanmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds Members" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:50:28 -0600

The Flammulated Owl was visible today, but only with difficulty, as birders
peered through heavy foliage.  Friends Judith Bailey, Frances Cerbins, and I
arrived at the South Padre Island Convention Center about noon today, set up
spotting scopes, and viewed the owl. The scopes were shared with more than a
dozen other birders and casual observers of nature who wondered what we were
looking at. Without a scope it was difficult to ascertain whether the shape
we were viewing was a stump or an owl. Only with a scope could we see the
feathers well and even a closed eye.

My apology for the late posting. We returned to Austin this evening.

Jean Martin
Austin