[texbirds] Fall shorebird migration, Corpus Christi

  • From: "Mel Cooksey" <cooksey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:40:38 -0500

It is not always easy to determine if a shorebird is a migrant
or simply a summering individual. It is possible to see just
about any species in the Coastal Bend in summer in ones
and twos. This morning there were at least FOURTEEN
Marbled Godwits in the Cayo del Oso, seen from the Hans
and Pat Suter park boardwalk on Ennis Joslin Drive.
These are fall migrants, and they are right on time, from my
experience. I have found a single MAGO here and there
during June, but small flocks at this time are tell-tale migrants.
Over the weekend, we might look for Short-billed Dowitcher, Semi-
palmated Sandpiper, and maybe Stilt Sandpiper.

Mel Cooksey
Corpus Christi