[texbirds] Fall Blackpoll at Nature Discovery Center in Russ Pitman Park

  • From: birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:10:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone, Exciting news!

We had a confusing fall warbler that has been identified Blackpoll yesterday at
11:30 am and after at Nature Discovery Center in Russ Pitman Park.  Several
people saw it just after our Lunch with the Birds walk, though at the time we
were not sure exactly what it was.  I have not had time to look for the bird
again today yet due to other work responsibitlites.

Many thanks to Don Verser who went back out and took extensive field notes and
worked on this ID, and to Jerry Chen who 2 pics of the bird that were very
helpful in ID.  Thanks also to John Berner, Tony Leukerin and Jim Hoffman who
took a look at these pics and info and all confirmed they thought it was the
Blackpoll which is very rare in fall migration on the gulf coast!

Russ Pitman Park is located at 7112 Newcastle between Bellaire Blvd and
Evergreen St just inside Loop 610 in Bellaire TX.

Other birds seen on our Lunch with the Birds walk yesterday:

Black Vulture - 6 (one perched awhile in tree)
Turkey Vultue - 1
Chimney Swifts - 4+
Ruby-throated Hummers -1M & 4-6 F or juvs
Rufous Hummer - 1M
Great Crested Flycatcher - 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee - 1
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 1
other empid -1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher -1
White-eyed Vireo - 1-2
Red-eyed Vireo - 1
N. Parula - 1st fall female
Black & White Warbler 2-3
Black-throated Green W - 1M
Blackpoll W. - 1
Canada W - 1 M
Wilson's W - 1M
Indigo Bunting -1 H
House Finch - 1
Baltimore Oriole -1F
& the ususal resident birds

Our FREE "Lunch with the Birds" birdwalks will begin this Wednesday, Sept 18th
from noon to about 1:15. The will continue every Wednesday through November
6th, 2013. Please feel free to join us!

Happy birding!

Mary Ann Beauchemin
Senior Naturalist & Park Steward
Nature Discovery Center
[javascript:void(0);] mbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
713-667-6550 (phone)
713-667-7654 (fax)

For more information about the Nature Discovery Center, our programs and how
you can support our work, visit www.naturediscoverycenter.org