[texbirds] FW: eBird Report - Laguna Seca Road, Jun 19, 2015

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 16:27:04 -0500

Mary Jane Syvertsen joined me this morning scouting out Laguna Seca Road as a
new road-birding route (the Birder Patrol did it once before, but I wanted to
measure mileage and time it). We started where you turn onto Laguna Seca from
US 281, followed that to where it turns south, checked that stretch (where we
had at least one "Fuertes'" Hawk) to FM 490 and then backtracked, continuing on
Laguna Seca to Miller to where that stopped at 281, then backtracked to the
main drag, continued north, then headed right on Floral Road, then left on
another dirt road that eventually connected with FM 1017 (the whole route was a
little over 20 miles). It was a beautiful route, with a lot of mesquite
savannah, and we had to negotiate a lot of "lakes"! :-) The other highlight
besides the hawk was a Barn Owl that flew across the road on one of the dirt
portions!

Mary Beth Stowe
McAllen, TX
www.miriameaglemon.com