[texbirds] Re: FW: Laffite's Cove Saturday & Sunday

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dean.Silvers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:19:02 -0500

Dean, et. al:
Not trying to troll you but asking a serious question: why would you want
to harm the snake? It's natural that the bird is its prey. It's the circle
of life. This is something I don't understand about birders and birding.
The death of a bird is marked as a tragedy, but of other animals little is
said, especially such animals that humans find abhorrent or fear? Does a
bird, because of its color, or feather, or light bones have some intrinsic
value that makes it more worthy than the snake? Aren't all the animals
essential portions of an ecosystem?

If we are all there to enjoy the fullness of nature, then which one is the
worse death: the bird preying on the poor innocent worm or caterpillar just
chilling around munching on leaves, or the snake eating the bird? Or the
Red-tailed Hawk eating the snake?

I'm genuinely curious about this. Or perhaps your concerns for the snakes
were for the health of the human observers?

Lastly, if I have interpreted your email incorrectly, my apologies, but yet
I have seen other birders react in similar ways and am genuinely curious as
to why?

Regards,

Sean Paul Kelley
Central San Antonio