[texbirds] FW: Collared Plover YES - but with current / future access problems

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 14:01:00 -0400

Charles et al -

I am not up on the laws pertaining to a person's legal right to be standing on
the side of a public road, nor how far the right of way extends from the
centerline of the road, where the land owner's rights kick in, etc., etc.

There have been numerous threads on texBirds talking about a birder's rights to
stand on a public road and look / photograph private property, but the only
actual laws / ordinances quoted (I think by David S.) only specifically
mentioned photographing people, not property or land, without authorization.

Nobody asked the fellow's name or who the actual landowner was, nor gave him
any backtalk, but after he left there were some indignant mutterings.

What concerns me is the many (dozens?  hundreds?) of birders currently on the
way to S TX that might not hear about these complications before arriving at
the spot, or might choose to act badly when confronted.

I would always urge birders to respect the local residents / landowners / etc.,
in any and all dealings with our desire to see a bird.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi), TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx