[texbirds] FOS birds and more @ Edinburg Scenic Wetlands, Hidalgo Co.

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 23:24:28 -0500

Hello Texbirders,
The cold front finally rolled in and the new day brought some fine
crisp weather, FOS winter birds, and warblers to the Edinburg Scenic
Wetlands in Hidalgo County.

FOS *House Wrens* were heard and seen in different areas of the park, with
at least 3 around South Pond.

FOS *Blue-headed Vireo* was on the main grounds in the mesquites around the
canal.

FOS *Lincoln's Sparrow* was in the trees/tall grass around South Pond.

Best bird of the day was a *Wilson's Snipe* seen at the Northwest shore of
South Pond during an after-work walk around the pond. First I've ever
personally seen in the park! Same for most involved.

*Kingfisher Update: Belted Kingfishers* have been seen at both the North
Pond and South Pond, and 2 *Ringed Kingfishers* have been regular at North
Pond in the mornings. *Green Kingfisher *is a specialty bird in the
wetlands and are often seen at the North Pond and the Dragonfly Pond. It's
very possible to see all 3 North American Kingfishers in the park this time
of year. All 3 were at the North Pond this past week.

Bird diversity is definitely increasing at the wetlands! Come by and enjoy
all the  waders and RGV specialties like; *Great Kiskadee, Golden-fronted
Woodpecker, Buff-bellied Hummingbird, Olive Sparrow, and Black-bellied
Whistling Duck. *Plus*, *the migrants that are stopping by for a brief
while. I saw a *Black-throated Green Warbler* and an *American Redstart *on
the main grounds today as I took a short stroll by the canal and pergola.

This month is one of the best times to visit! Especially so if you like
butterflies too. The Crucita flowers are about to burst and the butterfly
diversity is on the rise as well!

Birdwalks going on every Tuesday morning starting at 8:30am. Next one
should be a nice one!

Great fall birding to all!

Naturalist Educator,
-Javi Gonzalez