[texbirds] FOS Turkey Vulture, Panhandle Birding 17-FEB 2014

  • From: "Barrett Pierce" <bpierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:25:14 -0600

As a follow up on Cameron Carver's earlier comments; Turkey Vulture
sightings in the northern Panhandle begin in mid-March and continue through
the middle of October. I have seen a few up to two weeks earlier and have a
dozen or so sightings during the last two weeks of October. Returning birds
are usually in larger groups, will overnight in tall trees and depart the
next morning and seem to be replaced by different birds the next night so
that TUVU are roosting in the same trees for two weeks to three weeks or so.

I classify TUVU sightings from November through February as Irregular and
have seen only two TUVUs during the winter in the northern Panhandle: On
December 16, 2004 I found a TUVU at Lake Meredith in Hutchinson County and
on December 3, 2006 a TUVU was present in Amarillo, Randall County for a few
days. It is hard to say that either of these two were overwintering.

Barrett Pierce
Amarillo, TX