[texbirds] Re: FOS Turkey Vulture

  • From: Kelly Bryan <kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:46:37 -0600

Stevan,
It is the first arriving spring migrant in the Trans-Pecos as evidenced by
the Marathon area sightings mentioned by Heidi.  True winter records have
only been reported along the Rio Grande northwest to the Del Rio area, Big
Bend National Park and in the El Paso area, where it seems to be most
frequent.  The only inland TP record that I am aware of is the 3 birds on
the Balmorhea CBC a few years ago.  KBB

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Texas first hand but found that at Lk. Possum Kingdom we had quite a few of
> them then they vanished at Hubbard Creek Res this winter only about 35
> miles west.....Likewise in NW Shakleford and SW Throckmorton Co.s we saw
> nary a one in Dec. Jan....B
> Brush Freeman
> 503-551-5150 Cell
> 120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
> http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
> Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
>

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Stevan Hawkins <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >wrote:
>
> > Heidi:
> >
> > Is the lack of wintering TUVUs true of all of far West Texas?  How far
> east
> > does that lack of wintering TUVUs extend?  From San Antonio to Luling
> TUVUs
> > are present year round.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > Stevan Hawkins
> > San Antonio TX

Kelly B Bryan
Fort Davis, Texas

To follow the progress of my hummingbird project go to:
http://westtexashummingbirds.com/
To support this project, other bird projects and our educational outreach
in west Texas go to:  http://www.westtexasavianresearch.org/