[texbirds] Ever wondered if two birds can collide during flock maneuvers? Sure they can

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 12:24:09 -0400 (EDT)

Often when watching a flock of birds flying  I wondered if they ever
collide. Flocks of small shorebirds, blackbirds etc are like a live swarm that
seems to move on its own, like one organism powered by some intelligent or
magical force inside (but every individual is on its own - Birds can resolve
rapid movements better than humans, for whom flickering at a rate greater
than  50 Hz appears as continuous movement. Humans cannot therefore
distinguish  individual flashes of a fluorescent light bulb oscillating at 60
Hz, but
Budgerigars and chickens have flicker thresholds of more than 100 Hz. A
Cooper's  Hawk can pursue agile prey through woodland and avoid branches and
other objects  at high speed; to humans such a chase would appear as a blur.
BTW birds can also  detect slow moving objects. The movement of the sun and
the constellations  across the sky is imperceptible to humans, but detected
by birds. The ability to  detect these movements allows migrating birds to
properly orientate themselves).  But I never noticed collisions inside the
moving flock. Small tern flocks are  different. Birds keep greater distance
from each other. Maneuvers by individual  birds inside the flock can be
impressive (e.g. LETE can fly upside down with  head in ‘normal’ position)
but the
flock does not make impression of being one  entity. But, evidently, one
bird can bump into another. Look here (under tail  covert feathers got
separated from tail feathers allowing a great view):

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149582203

Example of LETE flying with body upside down with its head up inside the
flock during quick maneuver (note: To obtain steady images while flying or
when  perched on a swaying branch, birds hold the head as steady as possible
with  compensating reflexes).

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149582204

I wonder if many observations of colliding birds have been recorded when
they are flying in formations (did you ever see one?); I couldn't find any
photos, and found only a few anecdotal notes. And I am not talking about
aggressive encounters or gulls trying to get thrown piece of bread. BTW long
time ego I saw two hummers collided when trying to establish who owns the
feeder. One lost conscious for a few minutes but was OK later.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field