[texbirds] Re: Eurasian Whimbrel - wing underparts - subspecies ID

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 12:45:01 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for all offline replies - will address those privately later today.
In meantime I would like to post some information I got from a request
posted on  another forum.

When European Brotherhood is trying to find Hudsonians on the other side of
 the pond Norman Deans van Swelm on his excellent page
(http://www.radioactiverobins.com/BIRDSCAGE/snipes-waders/whimbrel%20numenius%20phaeopus.htm)

summarized diagnostic traits (and also sent me his great collection of other
photos to check) - I am copy the summary here and under my photo: Engelmoer
 & Roselaar (1998) recognize four subspecies of Eurasian Whimbrel Numenius
phaeopus i.e. nominate phaeopus from Scandinavia to ca. SW Taimyr;
islandicus  from Iceland to Scotland; alboaxillaris from the steppes between
the
lower  Wolga to SE of the Urals; variegatus from Taimyr to NE Siberia. There
are  differences in size between the various subspecies but on the axillaries
of  islandicus the white parts are mostly not wider than the brown bars; in
phaeopus  the white parts are mostly wider than the brown bars; in
alboaxillaris the  axillaries are white or have a few brown bars at most;
variegatus
has a whitish  lower back spotted with brown and a barred white rump while
it's axillaries have  broad brown bars.

Other replies also agree with this bird belong to nominal race and showing
no intergrade characters.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field

In a message dated 5/8/2013 2:43:36 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
MBB22222@xxxxxxx writes:

I see that Ron Weeks and others already posted their reports so no need  to
write the same information.

I am not sure how many people are interested but here are a few photos,
some showing the body and wing underparts. Unfortunately the most interesting
photos were taken during the midday hours (when Eurasian chased away
Hudsonian  from his territort) but patterns are clearly visible.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150073412
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150073413
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150073411
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150073410