[texbirds] - Estero Llano Grande SP WBC (LTC 054), Dec 5, 2012

  • From: imhuck3@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 17:01:47 -0500 (EST)

 Hello Texbirders,
 Highlight of the morning bird walk, at least for me, was a great look at a
Prairie Falcon flyover. With about 12 participants and some first timers to
Estero, we had some great birds. Common Pauraques are always a hit, as well as
White-tailed Kite, Fulvous-Whistling Duck. I heard the call of the
Northern-beardless Tyrannulet and ending of the day with almost 80 species. We
had some members of the "700 species club" in the park this morning and were
with us when the Prairie Falcon flew over and verified my call. Trying to get
my camera to focus on the bird and get a photograph and wondering why it would
not focus, I tried to manual focus. OK, you have to have the camera on to get
it to work, I guess. <grin>

 Anyway, some great birds are here in the park, below is our ebird report, so
take a look if interested to see what is possible for you to get while visiting
Estero.

 The Rose-throated Becard was seen yesterday morning but have not heard any
reports as of this writing for today.

 Take care, and remember----
  Bird for your health,
  Forget your worries,
  You'll be happier.

    Huck Hutchens,Park Host, Estero Llano Grande SP/WBC
    Weslaco, Texas

Estero Llano Grande SP WBC (LTC 054), Hidalgo, US-TX
Dec 5, 2012, 7;30-1;30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:      <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.5.1
78 species (+1 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  1000
Fulvous Whistling-Duck  1
Gadwall  14
American Wigeon  7
Mallard  2
Mottled Duck  20
Blue-winged Teal  5
Cinnamon Teal  5
Northern Shoveler  25
Northern Pintail  12
Green-winged Teal  5
Ring-necked Duck  1
Lesser Scaup  1
Ruddy Duck  6
Plain Chachalaca  12
Least Grebe  6
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Neotropic Cormorant  1
Anhinga  1
American White Pelican  39
Great Blue Heron  7
Great Egret  3
Snowy Egret  2
Little Blue Heron  1
Tricolored Heron  1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  4
White Ibis  4
Roseate Spoonbill  6
Turkey Vulture  13
White-tailed Kite  1
Northern Harrier  6
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Harris's Hawk  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  3
Sora  1
Common Gallinule  4
American Coot  46
Black-necked Stilt  12
American Avocet  10
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Long-billed Curlew  5
Least Sandpiper  7
Long-billed Dowitcher  18
Mourning Dove  1
Inca Dove  14
White-tipped Dove  4
Common Pauraque  3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird  1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  1
Green Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  15
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  1
Prairie Falcon  1     Got a super great look with it flying directly over head.
Very light to almost white underneath with dark underwing area going out from
body to the start of primaries.  Also I D'ed by John vanderpool.
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Vermilion Flycatcher  1
Great Kiskadee  9