[texbirds] Estero Llano Grande - Independence Day

  • From: Ian Layton <ilayton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 14:02:21 -0500

After our recent relocation from Bastrop Co. Cindy and I got out in the
field for the first time. A couple of hours at Estero were perfect!
Breeding birds on nests or with young were in evidence as we saw
Black-necked Stilts, Killdeer and Black-bellied Whistling Duck with young,
and a pair of Green Heron on/near nest.
Notables for us (being new to RGV) were a pair of Red-Crowned Parrots, and
a single White-tailed Kite. A flyover by 4 Roseate Spoonbill was nice also.
We also met John Yochum at the Visitor Center. As I signed in the guest
book it was cool to see a number of familiar names (from TexBirds and
eBird) in the last week. Hope to put faces to those names soon!
At our home we are getting used to the Chimney Swifts (in our chimney) at
carck of dawn, a neighborhood flock of Green Parakeets, and the Great
Kiskadees screeching away outside my home office keeping me entertained
during the day!
Ian Layton
Mission, TX
Hidalgo Co.