[texbirds] Estero LGSP + Progreso (Hidalgo) + Weaver Rd (Cameron): shorebirds & more

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:58:43 -0500

Today (Tuesday, 03/26/13) from late morning - early afternoon we birded
Estero Llano Grande State Park (ELGSP; Hidalgo Co.), our primary goals being
to (a) see and photograph the Virginia Rail that recently has been in the
Ibis Pond marsh areas near the Visitor Center and to check for shorebird
migrants.

After initial unsuccessful efforts on the rail, we sought shorebirds at
Dowitcher Pond and on the Llano (i.e., the floodway) as viewed from the
dike. Our major highlight at Dowitcher Pond was a very cooperative BAIRD'S
SANDPIPER that easily provided all the evidence one might wish as to its
species, for the lighting conditions were good and its stay extended. Other
shorebirds highlights LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (150+), AMERICAN AVOCET (4,
Including 2 with breeding plumage, one of which was spectacular), STILT
SANDPIPER (est. 25-30), BLACK-NECKED STILT (dozens), LEAST SANDPIPER (30 at
least), LESSER and GREATER YELLOWLEGS (no count undertaken, but a few were
present, the former more numerous), SPOTTED SANDPIPER (1), and KILLDEER
(6-8). A non-shorebird highlight at Dowitcher Pond was FULVOUS
WHISTLING-DUCK (15). From the dike overlooking the Llano our highlight was
AMERICAN AVOCET (35).

We headed back to Ibis Pond and we were pleased to be joined by Marie
Stewart who we were glad could bird with us for the remainder of the day.
Birgit was the first to spot the VIRGINIA RAIL, which quickly disappeared
but was re-found by Marie. Both Marie and Rex were able to get photos, as
the rail stayed visible for several minutes. This rail was reported to have
made sporadic appearances today, prior to our having seen it. In the very
same area, we also had earlier enjoyed a SORA. Two bright male CINNAMON TEAL
also were a highlight of our visit to Ibis Pond.

After a quick lunch we headed for the Progreso sod fields, where we were
pleased at there being enough overcast to keep out glaring sun but thin
enough to allow reasonably good light for viewing the usually distant
shorebirds. We were excited to find there our first-of-season UPLAND
SANDPIPERS (39, quite a few viewed as they foraged on the fields, but even
more seen when they rose up as something put them to flight, flying fairly
close by, some of them delighting our ears with their fluid and mellow
"pulip, pulip" flight calls. AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER was plentiful (est.
30-40, widely dispersed), but bested in numbers by PECTORAL SANDPIPER (est.
50, some seen on the ground, but many as they took flight and flew almost
directly overhead, crossing the road on which we stood). These migrants were
complemented by GREATER YELLOWLEGS (1) and KILLDEER (4).

Excited by the shorebirds found at Progreso, we visited the WEAVER ROAD SOD
FIELDS (Cameron Co.; please see our most recent posting for details of
location) where we found on the greener areas of the sod AMERICAN
GOLDEN-PLOVER (est. 60, probably conservative), PECTORAL SANDPIPER (EST.
20-25, but this, too, seems likely conservative, as the species seemed
widely dispersed among the more numerous American Golden-Plovers), and
LESSER YELLOWLEGS (est. 8-10, largely situated to the rear of the other
species, who seemed to be foraging in a usually northward direction). Last,
but not least, we spotted our first -of-season WILSON'S PHALAROPES (2),
foraging amidst the American Golden-Plovers, and providing for us a new
migratory species for the day. At one point the somewhat darkened sky was
brightened by the swirling overflight of AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN (6).

Wishing everyone the best of spring-migration birding,

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX