[texbirds] Erath County: Black-bellied Whistling Ducks

  • From: "JimJones-FWAS" <jjones4fwas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 09:46:08 -0500

I have seen 3 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks on May 10 and again yesterday on
May 24 while leading fieldtrips to the Brown Property (an IBA). I am sharing
this for those who have county lists and need this bird for Erath County.
According to eBird this species is RARE for Erath County  (12 miles west of
Glen Rose).

On both days they were seen before 8 AM near the stock tanks at the
intersection of CR196 and CR104. They were then observed flying west. There
are two small lakes within 3 miles when looking at Google Earth. One lake
has a name (Lesley Lake). But I believe both lakes are surrounded by private
property.

On a side note, our field trip was successful for finding two of our
targeted birds. We spotted 5 Golden-cheek Warblers and heard 3 more in
different locations on this 300+ acre property. We also saw 3 Black-capped
Vireo and heard 2 more. The property owner pays to have his property
surveyed each year. The biologists were there last weekend and had marked
nests of both Black-capped and Golden-cheeked. (there is little concern for
others to pester these nests as access is very controlled). My group stayed
back about 50 feet from both nests. We saw no activity around the
Golden-cheek nests but these birds have usually fledged by now. (I have led
this trip on Memorial Day weekend for several years. The timing seems best
to allow folks to see both species.)  We were rewarded with seeing the
Black-capped in the trees and area near the marked nest.

There were also two other new species sightings for me on this property,
Crested Caracara and Mississippi Kite. I'm sure they may be more common to
see if you live in the area. The property owner told me he has never seen a
Mississippi Kite in the 20 years he has lived there. (he and his wife are
avid bird watchers) The one species not seen this year was the Ash-throated
Flycatcher. I have almost always found one or two on this trip.

Our total for the morning was 44 species. Not high compared to other
counties.. but this is Erath after all.

One of the participants posted a short video on YouTube which has one of the
Black-capped Vireo singing away.

Here is the link:  <http://youtu.be/ChNiPzZkbaM> http://youtu.be/ChNiPzZkbaM

Have a great Memorial Day everyone! Remember our Veterans out there.

Jim Jones

Bedford, TX

Ft. Worth Audubon