[texbirds] Elgin & Hornsby Bend

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:26:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

First of all, a big Thank You to Darrell Vollert for solving the Funky
Sparrow mystery:  it was indeed a half-hearted Fox Sparrow, along with the
chortling of a Harris' Sparrow in between Foxy's song (today I was able to
capture a Harris' doing his song and chortle by himself)!  Thanks also go  to
Eric Carpenter for cottoning me onto the fact that all titmice in this area
are intergrades, dubbed the Dixon's Titmouse I found out somewhere else.

Today was cold, windy, and started out misty (temps never got above 37
according to Bippy's thermometer), so I did almost all my birding from the
car!  Did the Elgin Road Route and pulled over to listen as often as I  could
safely (and without having anyone call the cops on me for perhaps parking
where I shouldn't...), but just couldn't kick up any longspurs (although
almost  every other "field bird" seemed to show up in numbers).  That woodland
along Carlson Lane was wonderful, however, and although I couldn't scare up
the  sapsucker, the Eastern Towhee DID pop up for me after a bad Screech Owl
imitation (along with a bunch of other sparrows)!  Got a Flicker for the
trip here as well.

Hornsby Bend was the afternoon destination, and ironically I found none of
the target species *I* was looking for, but ran into the two rarities that
are  common birds where I live:  Vermilion Flycatcher and Buff-bellied
Hummingbird!  The latter was at his reported spot by the feeder along the
River
Trail at the end of Platt Road, and the flycatcher was near where the auto
route goes by some buildings.  I ran into two cars full of guys; the first
gentleman had seen the goldeneye and told me where to look, but by the time
I  got back there I couldn't find her.  I had earlier found a Canvasback
that  the second carfull was very interested in, however!  While hiking the
trail  a couple of Caracaras flew over (feels weird seeing them when it's 30
degrees  out...), and at the main building, a group of White-winged Doves was
feeding  under one of the big trees, and amongst them was a "chocolate"
(melanistic)  bird!

Photos and recording are here:

_http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Elgin.html_
(http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Elgin.html)

Bird List (new for the trip are in CAPS):

Gadwall                               Anas strepera
AMERICAN WIGEON                         Anas americana
NORTHERN SHOVELER                       Anas clypeata
GREEN-WINGED TEAL                       Anas crecca
CANVASBACK                              Aythya valisineria
RING-NECKED DUCK                        Aythya collaris
LESSER SCAUP                            Aythya affinis
BUFFLEHEAD                              Bucephala albeola
RUDDY DUCK                              Oxyura jamaicensis
PIED-BILLED GREBE                       Podilymbus podiceps
EARED GREBE                             Podiceps nigricollis
Great Blue Heron                      Ardea herodias
Great Egret                           Ardea alba
Black Vulture                         Coragyps  atratus
Turkey Vulture                        Cathartes aura
Northern Harrier                      Circus cyaneus
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK                      Accipiter striatus
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK                     Buteo lineatus
Red-tailed Hawk                       Buteo  jamaicensis
American Coot                         Fulica americana
Killdeer                              Charadrius vociferus
LEAST SANDPIPER                         Calidris minutilla
Rock Pigeon                           Columba livia
Eurasian Collared-Dove                Streptopelia decaocto
White-winged Dove                     Zenaida asiatica
Mourning Dove                         Zenaida macroura
BUFF-BELLIED HUMMINGBIRD                Amazilia yucatanensis
Red-bellied Woodpecker                Melanerpes  carolinus
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER                Sphyrapicus varius
Ladder-backed Woodpecker              Picoides scalaris
NORTHERN FLICKER                        Colaptes auratus
Crested Caracara                      Caracara cheriway
American Kestrel                      Falco  sparverius
Eastern Phoebe                        Sayornis phoebe
VERMILION FLYCATCHER                    Pyrocephalus rubinus
Loggerhead Shrike                     Lanius ludovicianus
American Crow                         Corvus brachyrhynchos
Carolina Chickadee                    Poecile carolinensis
“Dixon’s” Titmouse                       Baeolophus bicolor x
atricristatus
Carolina Wren                         Thryothorus ludovicianus
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                  Regulus calendula
American Robin                        Turdus migratorius
Northern Mockingbird                  Mimus polyglottos
European Starling                     Sturnus vulgaris
American Pipit                        Anthus rubescens
Orange-crowned Warbler                Oreothlypis celata
Yellow-rumped Warbler                 Setophaga coronata
EASTERN TOWHEE                          Pipilo erythrophthalmus
Vesper Sparrow                        Pooecetes gramineus
Savannah Sparrow                      Passerculus sandwichensis
Song Sparrow                          Melospiza melodia
Lincoln's Sparrow                     Melospiza lincolnii
White-throated Sparrow                Zonotrichia albicollis
Harris's Sparrow                      Zonotrichia querula
White-crowned Sparrow                 Zonotrichia leucophrys
Northern Cardinal                     Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged Blackbird                  Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern Meadowlark                    Sturnella magna
Western Meadowlark                    Sturnella neglecta
Brewer's Blackbird                    Euphagus cyanocephalus
Common Grackle                        Quiscalus quiscula
Great-tailed Grackle                  Quiscalus mexicanus
House  Sparrow
63  SPECIES
So far:  91 SPECIES
Mary Beth  Stowe