[texbirds] Elf Owl near Brackettville 3/28

  • From: Troy Hibbitts <alterna2627@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 08:50:32 -0700 (PDT)

While running north of town late in the evening yesterday, I had an Elf Owl
calling near the roadside about 5 miles north of town just south of the low
water crossing at (unmarked) Pinto Creek on FM 674.   While I've heard them
calling regularly in the spring up near Kickapoo Caverns in southern Edwards
County, this is the closest I've heard this species to town and the first time
I've heard one in Kinney County.
Troy Hibbitts
Brackettville, TX