[texbirds] Edinburg Scenic Wetlands, Hidalgo Co. Tuesday Birdwalk

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 16:46:15 -0500

Hello Texbirders,
It was a gorgeous Spring morning here at the wetlands, just perfect for a
Birdwalk! Starting at the North Pond we spotted an FOS Fulvous
Whistling-Duck dabbling alongside the Blue-winged Teals and a couple of
Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks. We also had good looks at a FOS Green Heron
perched on a low snag just inches off the water surface, a Belted
Kingfisher, and a male Green Kingfisher that was calling from within some
low hanging branches just left of the overlook.

Moving along through the park grounds we were able to see and hear
Cardinals, White-eyed Vireos, Long-billed Thrashers, Great Kiskadees,
Couch's Kingbirds, Hummingbirds, and some singing House Wrens. In the
distance out of sight we could hear the trilling of Tropical Kingbirds.

Over at the South Pond the water depth was low which was ideal for
shorebirds! The highlight was a Pectoral Sandpiper that was probing the
flats along with some Long-billed Dowitchers, Solitary Sandpipers, Spotted
Sandpipers, and others. We also saw 3 other Fulvous Whistling-Ducks amongst
the ducks that wintered there. Golden Fronted Woodpeckers kept flying
across the pond and the male Black-chinned Hummingbird that has been
perching on a tall bare snag that sticks out from the pond bank was still
there.

After the birdwalk was over I took my lunch break and I found an
Ash-throated Flycatcher and some migrating Clay-colored Sparrows in the
Mesquite trees that are across the canal just west of the butterfly gardens.

Though we didn't see many migrants during the walk, I did come across a
nice flock of warblers last Saturday (4/5) on the day following a cold
front. In the flock were; Northern Parula, Nashville, Black-and-white,
Blue-winged, and Black-throated Green.

Things should really start to pick-up soon so come over and visit!!
Birdwalks happening every Tuesday morning at 8:30am

Full list below:

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, US-TX
Apr 8, 2014 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Area
40.0 ac
Comments:     Tuesday Birdwalk
54 species (+1 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  6
Fulvous Whistling-Duck  4
Blue-winged Teal  30
Northern Shoveler  8
Green-winged Teal  3
Lesser Scaup  2
Ruddy Duck  12
Plain Chachalaca  4
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Neotropic Cormorant  15
Great Blue Heron  1
Snowy Egret  2
Cattle Egret  6
Green Heron  2
Black-crowned Night-Heron  3
Turkey Vulture  3
Osprey  1
American Coot  20
Black-necked Stilt  6
Spotted Sandpiper  4
Solitary Sandpiper  3
Lesser Yellowlegs  1
Least Sandpiper  12
Pectoral Sandpiper  1
Long-billed Dowitcher  20
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Mourning Dove  4
Inca Dove  2
Common Ground-Dove  1
Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Green Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  5
Ash-throated Flycatcher  1
Great Kiskadee  3
Tropical Kingbird  1
Couch's Kingbird  2
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  5
White-eyed Vireo  3
House Wren  4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Gray Catbird  1
Curve-billed Thrasher  1
Long-billed Thrasher  3
Northern Mockingbird  4
Orange-crowned Warbler  2
Nashville Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  4
Clay-colored Sparrow  3
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Great-tailed Grackle  7
Lesser Goldfinch  1

P.S. Plenty of butterflies and dragonflies on the trails as well!!

Happy Spring birding to all!
Naturalist Assistant,
-Javi Gonzalez