[texbirds] Re: Ecotourism definition for "South Texas"?

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sandboa@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:24:29 -0500

Interesting comments! Thanks to all that replied, both here and
privately. I'm definitely playing devil's advocate here, as my own view
has bounced around considerably over the last few years, and I currently
have no personal working definition.
Most of the replies offered definitions that are party based upon ecosystem
definitions without regard for ecotourism. But even those were not
consistent.

There are multiple definitions for dividing the state into ecosystem or
natural regions. See the two following links for examples:

<
https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/online-course/wildlife-conservation/texas-ecoregions

<http://www.eoearth.org/view/article/152207/>

Chris touched upon another component of defining an area by mentioning his
interest in herpetology. I would even add lep and odes into that mix.

I am in the early stages of developing an ecotour program guide for South
Texas (not for profit, David;-)) that will have the Texas state park
system as its core. It will include an economic component as well.

Again, thanks to all!

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Chris Harrison <sandboa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For my money, I agree with Tim to a large degree. I look at it personally
based on herp distributions since that is an interest of mine and herps are
much less vagile than birds.

My boundaries for South Texas are Del Rio across the edge of the hill
country (roughly highway 90) to San Antonio then SE along the southern edge
of the San Antonio River to the coast. The San Antonio River seems to cut
it about right and it seems to be an approximate boundary for many
Tamaulipan species.

Seminole Canyon is definitely not in South Texas, it is part of the
Trans-Pecos.

Chris Harrison

San Antonio

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein