[texbirds] Ebird: How to change locations in ebird ( re- 2011 yellow-faced grassquit sightings--Dan Jones)

  • From: Berner Family <jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:22:28 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders:
per Dan Jones' email:

If any of you would like to take the trouble to change your 2011 yellow-faced
grassquit location to Goose Island SP from wherever you turned it in here are
instructions. Thes instructions will also work if you want to move any
observation or personal location to a hotspot

Alternative 1: Directions to move just your grassquit list from your individual
location to the shared hotspot.

1. Go to My ebird tab (may require login)
2. click on Manage My Observations link on right side
3. Click on "Show All" on upper right--this will display all of your
observations in reverse time order
4. Look between Feb 1, 2011 and march 17, 2011 for your individual observation
list that contains the grassquit
5. When you find it click on "View or Edit" link at the right hand side of the
line containing your observation list
6. click in the upper right-hand corner on the "Edit Location" oval
7 Click on the "Nearby Location on Map" link
8. zoom in the map until you can see ared pushpin that corresponds to the one
you want to move your list to. If you get it wrong just click on adifferent red
pushpin until you find the one you want. I would pick either

Goose Island SP--Campground area
-or-
Goose island SP (CTC 048) if your list is from the whole park--even if you saw
the grassquit in the campground area

9. When the have the correct red pushpin selected, click on the green continue
rectangle and you are done. You will now have zero lists at your personal
location and one list at the hotspot.

Alternative 2: Move every list including the grassquit list from a personal
location to  the nearby shared hotspot (keeps all your lists but moves them and
deletes your original location)
1. Go to My ebird tab (may require login)
2. Click on Manage my locations link on the right side
3. type Goose into the search box. A pulldown menu will appear--pick your
personal location from the list with the mouse and click on it
4. when the map comes put a dot in the radiobutton next to "Merge"
5. zoom out until the red pushpin representing the desired hotspot appears.If
you get it wrong just click on adifferent red pushpin until you find the one
you want. I would pick either
Goose Island SP--Campground area
-or-
Goose island SP (CTC 048) if your list is from the whole park--even if you saw
the grassquit in the campground area

6. When you get the correct one--click on "Merge" rectangle. Leave  the check
in the box alone next to "delete after merging".
7. Click Yes in rectangle when asked "Are you sure? This cannot be undone."
8. your lists will have been moved to the hotspot and your personal location
deleted.

Using or Alterative #1 or Alternative #2 would really cleanup the "sea of dots"
problem when people have their own personal location right next to a shared
hotspot. Alternative #2  is a great way to move more than one list at the same
time from personal location to the hotspot

John Berner
W. Houston/katy
*********************************
[texbirds] Another eBird location rant
        * From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
        * To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        * Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:06:31 -0400 (EDT)
Want a laugh?  Check out the number of locations on eBird for the Yellow-faced
Grassquit that occurred at Goose Island State Park in early 2011.
http://ebird.org/ebird/tx/map/yefgra1?neg=true&env.minX=-108.23327115842324&env.minY!.257174039988602&env.maxX=-92.41295865842324&env.maxY(.273952810183967&zh=true&gpúlse&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo&yr00-2013&byr00&eyr
 13 This link is so long it may not work.  Anyway the map shows markers from
Rockport all the way to Aransas NWR.  And this bird never moved more than 100
yards at best.  We really butchered our entries on the eBird map.  In fact I
was so lazy I just entered it for Aransas County.  I'm as guilty as the next.
Anyway I fixed my entry so the bird is shown where it occurred, Goose Island
State Park.  We need to be more careful and responsible when using eBird. Dan
Jones, Weslaco Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
//www.freelists.org/list/texbirds Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is
prohibited without seeking permission
from the List Owner

The Berners