[texbirds] Eastern Williamson County 12/8/13

  • From: Tim Fennell <tfennell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 16:21:45 -0800 (PST)

Texbirders,
Byron Stone and I birded eastern Williamson County today from 8:00 am to 1:00
pm. Highlights of the 72 species for the morning are below. Lowlights were no
Green-winged Teal (normally one of the most common ducks in the county but hard
to find the past month-anyone else noticed this around the state or is this a
local thing?) and no longspurs despite perfect longspur conditions (cold,
cloudy and little wind; scarce so far this winter).

Cheers,
Tim Fennell
Round Rock, TX (15 miles north of Austin)
Travis Audubon Society

Hooded Merganser  51 (48 at Meadow Lake, Round Rock; 3 on CR 414 stock pond)
Red-breasted Merganser  5 Granger Lake
Mountain Plover  30   (8 on CR 360; 22 in field SW of CR 352/Alligator Road
intersection)
Rock Pigeon  400+  on CR 415 (Maybe not a "highlight" but unusual. This is a
difficult species to find around Granger and I have never seen such a massive
flock like this in 15+ years of birding the  area)
Burrowing Owl  1 CR 35