[texbirds] Re: Eastern Screech-Owl Questions

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:45:31 -0600

It is a gray morph and it looks like you have one of Cliff's Owl
Shacks...For some reason they just really work!......B
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> First, because I can't resist, I was up at Balcones Country Club in
> Northwest Austin today and had a Merlin at the driving range and a male
> Bufflehead and Lesser Scaup on the one small lake in the back nine.
> Okay, the first is about behavior: the owl at my house appears consistently
> around 6 every evening and stays some mornings until at least 8 (not really
> home to check). It perches on an owl box. So, is it more likely that it
> sleeps inside the box during the day then comes out as the light wanes, or
> that it roosts somewhere else but prefers my yard as its departure point
> for hunting? Mainly, if anyone has experience with these birds that could
> bring insight.
>
> Also, I would like opinions from this photo
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbird/8401859149/in/set-72157631706270190(
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbird/8401859149/in/set-72157631706270190
> )
> about the color morph. Based on Cornell's site, I am thinking brown morph.
> Does this reveal anything about what region the bird is from?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Elliott M. Gordon
> Austin, TX

Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist
361-655-7641
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
The greatest musician of all time is mother nature.