[texbirds] Eastern Hidalgo County, 6/29/12

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:54:43 -0400 (EDT)

This morning I made the run up north of Weslaco to check the area wet spots.
Manged to find some juicy Hidalgo County birds for June.

Sugar House Pond on FM 1425 north of FM 107 - Water is starting to recede with
just a sliver of shoreline.  Will be great for shorebirds in the coming weeks
if the water continues to drop.  Best birds today were two American Wigeons, a
drake Redhead, two more possible female Redheads but hard to tell at this
distance, 53 Ruddy Ducks, and whistling ducks of both flavors with babies.  At
least 200 Bank Swallows and four Black Terns were over the pond and surrounding
fields.

Delta Lake on FM 88 - Water was low enough to make a bit of exposed shoreline.
A Purple Gallinule was a surprise.  Least and Caspian Terns flew by.

Hargill Playas - The Cattle Pens playa on FM 490 was dry but there's still
plenty of water on 1st and Lincoln.  Two Wilson's Plovers and a Snowy Plover
walked the shoreline.  I followed a flying Lest Tern in my binocs till it
landed by another which stood up to reveal two eggs.  Best were two Black
Skimmers who hung out with Least, Gull-billed, Forster's and Caspian (dead)
Terns.

Bucy Road Pond - On Bucy Road west of Hargill, north of FM 490 - Two alternate
plumaged American Avocets were interesting but I could not see any chicks.
There was also another American Wigeon and five Gull-billed Terns.   I found a
second large pond farther north on Bucy Road but failed to notice anything
interesting as it sets way off the road behind a fence
.
Dan Jones, Weslaco