[texbirds] Eastern Hidalgo Co., 7/30/12

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:44:09 -0400 (EDT)

Checked out the area wet spots in eastern Hidalgo county this morning looking
for juicy county stuff.  Lots of shorebirds.
Sugar House Pond on FM 1425 north of FM 107 - Water is still a bit high but
hundreds of shorebirds crowded the marginal shoreline.  If the hot, dry weather
continues there should be some good mudflats soon.  Please don't drive up on
the dike.  I tried to turn the dowitchers into Short-billed but failed.
Sugar House pond on 1425, Hidalgo, US-TX
Jul 30, 2012 7:25 AM - 8:40 AM
Protocol: Stationary
25 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  120
Fulvous Whistling-Duck  15
Mottled Duck  2
Blue-winged Teal  2
Ruddy Duck  53
Least Grebe  3
White Ibis  1
Roseate Spoonbill  1
American Coot  142
Killdeer  3
Black-necked Stilt  415
American Avocet  20
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  250
Semipalmated Sandpiper  100
Least Sandpiper  50
Pectoral Sandpiper  1
Stilt Sandpiper  250
Long-billed Dowitcher  3
Wilson's Phalarope  120
Black Tern  2
Purple Martin  2
Hargill Playas - the cattle pens playa is mostly dry with no birds but quite a
bit of stuff on the playa on 1st and Lincoln.  No sign of the Willet.

Hargill area, Hidalgo, US-TX
Jul 30, 2012 9:20 AM - 9:35 AM
Protocol: Stationary
13 species

Great Egret  1
Snowy Egret  2
Black-necked Stilt  19
Greater Yellowlegs  10
Lesser Yellowlegs  4
Semipalmated Sandpiper  2
Western Sandpiper  10
Least Sandpiper  2
Stilt Sandpiper  10
Wilson's Phalarope  2
Laughing Gull  3
Gull-billed Tern  5
Black Tern  1
Bucy Road Pond north of FM 490 - The pond had some water but not too many
birds.  Lots of Horned Larks in the area.
Delta Lake - The shore northeast of where FM 88 crosses the lake is still
loaded with shorebirds.  I walked along the mudflats and scoped them over but
didn't find anything unusual.  A visit in the afternoon would provide much
better lighting.  I went into the park but failed to find Tim's Reddish Egret,
but there's lots of places for it to hide.  There were lots of mudflats on the
southend of the lake which are hard to scope.  There didn't seem to be anything
but gulls and terns.
  Delta Lake (LTC 008), Hidalgo, US-TX
Jul 30, 2012 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling