[texbirds] Eared Grebes nesting in Floyd County

  • From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 21:42:03 -0500

Hello all,
This afternoon I stumbled upon no fewer than 15 breeding-plumaged Eared
Grebes at a large playa between Floydada and Dougherty in Floyd County.
Upon closer inspection, I spied a few of those birds constructing nests out
of the aquatic vegetation. Admittedly, I am unsure of the species breeding
status in the region, though I'd suspect it's highly unusual judging by the
lack of summer season reports. This is just another testament to the
historic rainfall total we've had in the last month and a half.

Good birding,
Justin Bosler

P.S. - please contact me off-list if you're interested in specifics.
​
--
Graduate Research Assistant
Natural Resources Management