[texbirds] Dusky-capped Flycatcher continues

  • From: "Leslie Linehan" <linehanla@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 17:06:46 -0600

Apparently, texbirds doesn't like email sent from my phone, so I am going to
try this again:

Original message-which came out jumbled:  "I was at Pedernales Falls State
Park from 1130-1230 today (Sat 11/8).  The Dusky-capped Flycatcher was
present and cooperative.  He was in the trees between the parking area and
the new blind and visible from the blind (over the rail fence mostly)."

Additional info:  when you enter the bird blind area, there is a blind to
both the right and left of a central 'butterfly garden' area.  The blind to
the right appears to be the 'new blind'.  Notes left in the blinds indicate
the bird has been seen from both areas.  On Saturday, the bird was mostly
seen from the 'new' blind (to the right as you enter).  While seen from the
blind, he was mostly to the right as you look out the windows, above the
rail fence, or in the area between the blind and the parking area.  He
called often, but softly.  My impression is that if you hear him, he is
nearby-unlike an Ash-throated or a Great-Crested that can be heard from
quite a distance.  He was generally at eye level and in vegetation-roughly
4-8 feet off the ground.  When seen from the rear, he resembles an Eastern
Phoebe (in size and back color), but get binocs on him and you will see
rufous/rusty/reddish-brown outer tail feathers.  His chest is light and
belly fairly bright yellow.  His beak seemed long to me, compared to an
Eastern Phoebe.  He was actively hunting in typical flycatcher fashion, but
would sit quite still for 1-2 minutes at a time and was quite camouflaged
when not moving.  He did land on bare branches, providing for clear looks,
but did not perch high or completely in the open like most other flycatchers
will do.

At one point, he moved close to the fence just outside one entrance to the
blind.  There were 3-4 people who snuck out the entrance, a couple of us
that circled around from the opposite entrance, and a couple of birders
already outside.  He flew to a leafless tree in the center of the circle we
were forming and posed for pictures!  He seems completely
oblivious/unaffected by people-with the caveat that we were all being quiet
and moving slowly.  He came in close enough for cell phone photos!

Leslie

Leslie Linehan
Southern tip of Blanco Co
near the Highway 281/FM306 intersection