[texbirds] Re: Drought and no rivers, for

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: segast23@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:12:13 -0500

While discussing golf courses, might we add one economic activity that is
taking more water out of our rivers and aquifers than even cities and
agriculture: hydraulic fracturing.
I understand we need energy. I get it. I get the irony of me driving my car
around and birding, contributing to the problem.

But have any of you driven through the Brush Country lately or a little
further East into the areas around Luling, Yoakum, or drive down 119 to
Yorktown? (It's a terrifying drive with all the rigs.)

Have you seen the Nueces utterly denuded of water? And the Frio? And the
Sabinal? Even the Medina River is suffering. They pull massive amounts of
water from the San Antonio River. And I have a farmer/rancher friend on the
Guadalupe between Belmont and Gonzales that gets offers to buy his water
every day for fracking.

I'd be much more concerned about the long-term effects of hydraulic
fracturing than golf courses. Yes, I get the symbolism of golf courses and
hipster-yuppies on boats on Lake Travis, but fracking is doing inestimable
damage to our water and our birds.

So, yes, I understand about golf courses (I don't play golf) but they are
far from being the major problem.