[texbirds] Drought and birds

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:56:49 -0500

a very important and relevant topic and if one spends enough time watching
the effects it has had on Texas flora and fauna, it really sinks in..In
fact it is a morbid study on how animal/plant communities are adversely
affected, or perhaps in some rare cases benefited........We lose entire
breeding populations of animals like Dickcissels, Meadowlarks and
Grasshopper Sparrows etc. which were once common breeders in mush of
Texas...They move elsewhere...I hope.  In 2011 Cardinals on my place
produced only a single young bird that I saw. No really, the topic of
effects IMO, is for sure a topic of interest... to some of us...I do
realize though it is not everyone's cup of tea..This is why there is a
delete key...We all know about the water pigs/wasters and favored
allotments.  There is a lot in the press on this drought, as a matter of
fact as I type this, there is a segment on KUT about the LCRA and water
release..The bottom line is the drought...everything is about water
shortage...It is a big deal.  But  politics is likely something we should
maybe avoid here as emotions can run high when if affects our streams and
the wildlife that everyone on this forum wants to preserve and enjoy...I am
a case in point when it comes to my disgust and emotional reactions to the
whole situation we have to contend with. I won't go into how much so...at
least now :-)
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/