[texbirds] Dog Canyon, GMNP - 19 January

  • From: "Mark Lockwood" <Mark.Lockwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 20:27:35 -0600

I spent most of the day in Dog Canyon in an attempt to find some of the
birds reported by Martin, Sheridan and Willie from 10 January.  The
Northern Pygmy-Owl called from an area of large conifers that is in the
main drainage behind (up canyon) from the main corral.  I only heard it
calling for a short period of time and even though I had my recording
equipment, I was not able to get a recording of it calling.  I was not
able to locate the bird either, so it remains elusive.  Other highlights
include:

Cooper's Hawk - 1

Red-naped Sapsucker - 1

Mountain Chickadee - 5

Western Bluebird - 30

Hermit Thrush - 12

Dark-eyed (Red-backed) Junco - 2

Cassin's Finch - 1 (female)

Evening Grosbeak - 1 (female)

The Cassin's Finch was in the upper part of the main Dog Canyon drainage
where the trail turns to the west and up onto the ridge.  The Evening
Grosbeak was between the camping area and just up canyon from the
corral.  I have places two images of the grosbeak on my Flickr page at:

Mark

Mark Lockwood

402 E. Harriet Ave.

Alpine, Texas 79830