[texbirds] Devine - Wilco local interest

  • From: Beth Duncan <Beth.Duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:40:04 +0000

I slipped out at lunch to take a peek at Devine.  North wind still strong
across lake which makes for brutal viewing conditions.  I lasted about 30
minutes with scope and headed for cover of the trees.
All ducks were close to near shore which made for nice viewing.  I stayed back
up under the oaks to keep from spooking them.  Several hundred Widgeon,
Gadwall, Green-Winged Teal and Coot.  I spotted one male Canvasback, 5
Redheads, about 20 Pintail and 7 Mallards (5 male) and 2 Ring necks.  I got
really nice looks at the Mallards.

A quick walk through the woods and back to the car for seasonal birds I found a
Winter Wren, Spotted Towhee (4), Eastern Towhee, Yellow-rumped warbler and
White-crowned; Song and White-throated sparrow.

If you head out to check out the ducks keep in mind it feels 10 degrees colder
(or more) by the lake due to the heavy winds.

Beth Duncan
Leander, Williamson County