[texbirds] Denton County Kites

  • From: Susan Yost <sdyost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds - Email <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 15:52:57 -0500

Saw a nice kettle of 8 Mississippi Kites this afternoon. There was at least
one immature. They nest here in Highland Village and I saw a pair on a regular
basis. It will be sad to see them leave. I love the way they soar and twist
and turn for insects. Late news, but I also had a beautiful male Orchard
Oriole in my mister last weekend. LLELA, [Lewisville Lake Environmental
Learning Area] our local nature preserve has proof of the 1st documented
Orchard Orioles nesting within LLELA’s boundaries.
FYI: Big news! The city of Lewisville is joining forces with LLELA and is now
opening the gates 7 days a week! The flood waters are receding fast and most
trails are now accessible. I am sure LLELA will post an update soon on all the
great changes happening @ LLELA.

And just a reminder….Our 2nd Saturday bird walks start back up September 12.

Sue YOST ~^/^~
Highland Village
Denton Co.