[texbirds] Re: Denton Co Warbler

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:29:13 -0700

Hi all,

On Black-and-white Warbler post-nesting movements.....   Here where
they nest very nearby we start getting birds off breeding territories
in late May and early June.  These birds are all adults and are moving
south down the river habitat corridor, or south up on the ridges.
They are leaving the breeding grounds in a southward direction.
Like what we call fall migrants.  Like the Orchard Orioles going
through the yard lately.  All southbound.

Most B&W are done nesting here by the end of May, probably second or
third attempts account for the few pairs still nesting in June.
They can be hard to find by mid-July, much like Golden-cheeked Warbler,
they are in and out quickly.  I have been getting them moving south
through my yard for over a month now.  After early May there are no
northbound B&W's here, and by late May or the first week of June
there are southbound B&W's.  Every year.

Mitch Heindel
Utopia