[texbirds] Re: Denton Co Crossbills?

  • From: "MICHAEL PEASE" <mpease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sdyost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:06:57 -0800

Yes, they were there yesterday, 1/4.  We saw at least 16.  They could be
anywhere in the pine trees.  We hiked the full Lost Pines trail and didn't
locate them.  This was our second visit so we weren't leaving without them.
Our previous visit was on 1/3 for a few hrs in the afternoon.  We sat to eat
lunch at the campfire circle at the beginning of the trail.  After about 10
minutes they flew in from the opposite side of the road.  They were coming from
a good distance.  I don't know how far the pines go on that side, but there
doesn't seem to be a trail network over there.  They made a constant chatter
while in flight and came right over us, toward the lake and flew out of sight.
We walked down the trail and located them in the trees behind the old home
site.  It is obvious,with an old brick chimney behind a rail fence.

While in flight, they never stopped calling.  While feeding, they very seldom
called.  Only in certain trees could you hear them crunching on the cones.  To
the eye, they don't stand out well against cones.  I would stop and really
listen while scanning the tops of trees occasionally.

There are a bunch of Red breasted Nuthaches out there.  We had at least 16 and
never went 200 yards without hearing and/or seeing them. There could easily be
double that, but with both them and us moving, I didn't want to overcount.
This is by far the most and best looks I've had of the Nuthatches in Texas.

See you out there.

Mike Pease and Alex Pease
McKinney, Collin County