[texbirds] Dennis Shepler's hawk

  • From: Tony Leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 11:27:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi all:
Unfortunately, I disagree with the ID of Dennis' bird that he posted about
yesterday.  To me, this looks like a card-carrying juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk
(RS) for the following reasons:

1) The head looks rounded, which would be good for Sharp-shinned (SS), but not
for Cooper's (CH), but is also good for RS,
2) The bill is jutting, unlike either accipiter,
3) The eye does not appear yellow, but fairly dark,
4) The throat looks dark; like the eye color, bad for both SS and CH, and
5) The primaries look banded, bad for CH.

Thus, the fairly long tail, which should rule out SS, is reasonable for RS.

Sincerely,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Largo, FL