[texbirds] Delta Lake and Hargill Areas

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 19:04:56 -0600

Hi, all!

Pat Heirs joined me this frigid morning (by South Texas standards) as I
wanted to try and bag a couple of birds I needed for the year, so we started
at the little FM 1015 Pond in hopes that the goose flocks would fly overhead
early, which they did - not in huge flocks, but a small mixed group
contained the coveted Ross' Goose, so I was glad to bag that! We then
revisited a flooded field we had passed on the way up (now in better light);
the two White Pelicans we saw had left, but there were still lots of ducks
and shorebirds in there. We made our way to Delta Lake (bagging a Peregrine
on the way), where cruising the park added an Osprey eating a strange fish
with a long "whisker", a brilliant Vermilion Flycatcher, and a surprise
Black Phoebe, which I thought was a little north for them! A feeding flock
in the back part of the park produced a Yellow, Pine, and "Audubon's"
Warbler in addition to the regulars, and a couple of Solitary Sandpipers fed
in a muddy area. A Merlin was at the restrooms, and a Kestrel posed on the
way out. After a quick look at the lake itself, we checked out Nittler Road
(as far as we could go), and bagged two needed Sprague's Pipits while
checking some ducks that included a Canvasback! Having gotten my two
reasonable targets (Pat agreed that driving all the way to Boca Chica to try
for a Gannet was a little much), we then headed over to Hargill, where the
big surprise at the playa was a pair of Hooded Mergansers! A couple who was
just "exploring" crawled by and told us about another wetland to the west,
so we checked it out and found about a dozen Fulvous Whistling Ducks (among
other things)! We then headed up Brushline Road and had a nice selection of
sparrows, including Black-throated and Vesper, along with a handful more
cranes and water birds. Brushline north of 183 actually had a water hazard
nasty enough to make me turn back (which was a first on that road), so we
called it quits and headed home with a whopping 103 species for the morning!
(Oh, and I can't forget about the White-striped Longtail that went batting
by right in front of the car along Brushline!!)

Some pictures and a video of the Solitary Sandpiper are on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/marybeth.stowe

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Fulvous Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna bicolor

Greater White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons

Snow Goose Chen caerulescens

Ross's Goose Chen rossii

Gadwall Anas strepera

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata

Northern Pintail Anas acuta

Green-winged Teal Anas crecca

Canvasback Aythya valisineria

Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis

Hooded Merganser Lophodytes cucullatus

Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Least Grebe Tachybaptus dominicus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus

Anhinga Anhinga anhinga

American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Roseate Spoonbill Platalea ajaja

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus

Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus

Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis

Sora Porzana carolina

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Sandhill Crane Grus canadensis

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

American Avocet Recurvirostra americana

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Spotted Sandpiper Actitis macularius

Solitary Sandpiper Tringa solitaria

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus

Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla

Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus scolopaceus

Wilson's Snipe Gallinago delicata

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis

Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Inca Dove Columbina inca

Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

American Kestrel Falco sparverius

Merlin Falco columbarius

Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus

Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans

Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe

Vermilion Flycatcher Pyrocephalus rubinus

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

Green Jay Cyanocorax yncas

Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris

Tree Swallow Tachycineta bicolor

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

House Wren Troglodytes aedon

Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea

Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula

Long-billed Thrasher Toxostoma longirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

American Pipit Anthus rubescens

Sprague's Pipit Anthus spragueii

Orange-crowned Warbler Oreothlypis celata

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Yellow Warbler Setophaga petechia

Pine Warbler Setophaga pinus

Yellow-rumped Warbler Setophaga coronata

Vesper Sparrow Pooecetes gramineus

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Black-throated Sparrow Amphispiza bilineata

Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Pyrrhuloxia Cardinalis sinuatus

Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Lesser Goldfinch Spinus psaltria

House Sparrow Passer domesticus

103 SPECIES

Mary Beth Stowe