[texbirds] Delta Lake, 12/21/12

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 22:32:26 -0500 (EST)

I spent all day yesterday birding Delta Lake and the adjacent lakeside
community as part of the La Sal Vieja CBC.  Because of the continuing drought,
lake levels on the east side of FM 88 are very low, opening up lots of walkable
mudflats.  I was able to find all of the recent local rarities including the
two Reddish Egrets, an amazing 16 Dunlin, four Franklin's Gulls and a
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.  The south end of the lake provided an amazing
spectacle of ducks and shorebirds (amazing for Hidalgo County).  I accessed the
area by walking through the dead flattened cattails east of the pavilion at the
north end of the county park.  Park maintenance workers told me they were
working on a trail though the cattails but I couldn't find it.  As usual a
scope makes all the difference.

Delta Lake (LTC 008), Hidalgo, US-TX
Dec 21, 2012 7:15 AM - 5:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Walking lake shore and Delta Lake community
90 species

Greater White-fronted Goose  190
Snow Goose  2000
Ross's Goose  3
Gadwall  32
Mallard  3
Mottled Duck  70
Blue-winged Teal  4
Northern Shoveler  100
Northern Pintail  400
Green-winged Teal  6
Canvasback  1
Ring-necked Duck  12
Lesser Scaup  1300
Bufflehead  2
Ruddy Duck  25
Eared Grebe  1
Neotropic Cormorant  80
Double-crested Cormorant  100
Anhinga  2
American White Pelican  40
Great Blue Heron  10
Great Egret  15
Snowy Egret  15
Reddish Egret  2     present for some time
Black-crowned Night-Heron  60
Roseate Spoonbill  12
Black Vulture  50
Turkey Vulture  100