[texbirds] Decent Birds from Lubbock Last Week

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:55:31 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
On Friday, while looking at what turned out to be a 'runt' first-winter
Ring-billed Gull at Dupree Park I stumbled - literally - over 3 Inca Doves in
the dense vegetation along the western edge of the playa.  They were,
evidently, exploring their inner snipe:)  The species has becoming depressingly
scarce in our region and I cherish every sighting.

On Saturday, I flushed an Orange-crowned Warbler from the remnants of the
wildflower patch in my Lubbock backyard.  There you have it: the winter
weedpatch is good for birds as well as overwintering Lepidoptera.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock