[texbirds] Davis Mtn. Accipiter

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 05:49:20 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greetings,

This has been discussed by a few people already, but I thought I would throw it
out to the larger group.

Thursday morning I had an adult accipiter feeder bomb a group of birds at Davis
Mountains SP. I initially thought Cooper's. It seemed large, stockier and The
front edge of the wing looked straight. However, I only saw it briefly. As it
was flying away it made the peep sound that I have only ever associated with
adult Sharp-shinned. Sharp-shinned are known to breed in the Davis mountains as
well as Cooper's.

So the question is this: do adult Cooper's Hawks ever make the peep sound?

I'm really not so worried about the ID, but more interested in the feedback on
Accipiter vocalizations.

Thanks,
Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at