[texbirds] Re: Dallas Audubon RFI

  • From: Barbara Tompkins <ptbunting11@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 21:41:22 -0600

Graham and Texbirders,
Village Creek Drying Beds in Arlington is accessible to the public. In
early September, the City of Fort Worth installed a locked gate at the
bottom of the levee as you enter the drying beds. Around the new gate,
there are concrete barriers that create a parking area that allows for
several cars. There is an opening next to the locked gate that allows for
pedestrian traffic, bicycles (no motorcycles), and small wheel chairs. The
new gate is permanently locked, so driving through the beds is no longer an
option. The gate on Green Oaks Blvd is still in place, but the city is good
about making sure this gate is open. If the Green Oaks gate is locked, a
phone call using the posted number will result in a city employee unlocking
that gate during regular business hours.

The good news...when Fort Worth installed the new gate, they also filled
the east of side of the beds with water. Village Creek is back to being the
gem of the Tarrant County birding it has always been.

I was at the beds today. I saw Rusty Blackbirds at the marsh as you enter
the beds and on beds 13 and 15. There was also a male Vermilion Flycatcher
seen by a number of birders and photographed at beds 12, 13, and on the
power lines that run between beds 15 & 16. Vermilion Flycatcher is very
rare in Tarrant County.

Barbara Tompkins
Colleyville
Tarrant County