[texbirds] Crimson-collared Grosbeak Still at Sabal Palm Sanctuary

  • From: Seth Patterson <seth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:09:36 -0600

Good Morning TexBirders,
Our female-plumaged, immature Crimson-collared Grosbeak's attraction to the
Potato Tree directly in front of our observation deck has offered visitors
beautiful views and photographs. A few moments ago a birding group were all
standing on the deck and she flew in 15 feet away, perched out in the open
on a cluster of berries, plucked one up and began eating it. Unfortunately
the strong winds whipping the Potato tree around caused her to retreat to a
sturdier branch but we feel pretty confident she'll continue this daily
routine.

Here us a youtube video I shot from the visitor center porch of her feeding
in aforementioned Potato Tree:

YouTube Video - Crimson-collared Grosbeak in Potato
Tree<http://youtu.be/xfjXKvMyMSU>

We are offering Guided Bird Walks every Saturday at 8am followed by
Historical Tours of the nearly-restored 1892 Rabb Plantation home at 10am.

The Sanctuary is open every day from 7am to 5pm, we hope to see you all out
here!

Happy Birding!

- Seth

--