[texbirds] Cove to Crosby today, Kite day

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 16:06:16 -0500

I did a loop up through Chambers/Liberty/Harris county this morning. Not
too much out in the warmth other than kites.
The prothonotary warblers have young and are starting to flock. They were
perching on cars in place of painted buntings in on the trinity bottoms.

As I headed into Dayton, there were good numbers of Mississippi kites
perched up but none flying other than one bird that zoomed by and heard no
begging young.

No kites of either sort along US 90 or at the usual spots in Liberty. Seems
they have been here by now in past years.

No problem with kites along Aweigh Drive etc in Crosby. Lots of both. I had
at least 5 Mississippi kites and over a dozen swallow-tailed kites. It was
hard to count them as groups formed, split and moved long distances while
feeding. I had 8 in one group with 2 off to the north but there were other
groups, 5 and 3 that were consistent at times.

There are at least 3 fledged young from 2 broods, 2 in the group of 5 and 1
in the group of 3 and there were young in the group of 8.

The youngsters in the group of 5 were great flyers and could catch and eat
dragonflies on the wing. But they were still being fed baby birds. When a
parent brought a chick a chick, there was great calling especially by the
chick did not get fed. The fledged swallow-tailed kites are starting to
lose their tan chest feathers.

The birds fed south of the major waterway south of Aweigh that is reached
from Spinaker to Bluefin to Adrift. While the parents were feeding a
begging youngster they were dove upon by 3 adult Mississippi kites who were
either trying to steal the prey or drive of the youngster so they would not
have to listen to the continual squealing. Both species can really do
spectacular aerobatics and speed.

At times, parent birds were squealing at the youngsters but I never could
find a reason. Really great fun and I spent a couple of hours in the area
watching.

There were some carrring crows in the area but when they finally came out
to feed in the ditch it was 3 youngsters begging from a parent bird. They
only made a single call that could not be considered fishy. Did have a fish
crow digging in some mud at Deussen Park for crawfish which it found one of.

Its a great way to spend some time. The best spot is at the west end of
Aweigh where it turns north over the ditch. They returned here several
times after vanishing. With the young up and flying they may not stay in
the area much longer but the hunting appeared good and the traditional
gathering spot on the Trinity bottoms did not have any birds.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston