[texbirds] Re: Count Circle and CBC centers

  • From: "JimJones-FWAS" <jjones4fwas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:06:55 -0600

I felt that I needed to address two issues I have with some of the comments
about this App and the CBC data shown on the National Audubon Society
website.
I do not have the App so it may in fact be a wonderful thing to behold. But
one of the replies on TexBirds said if you don't like where your circle is,
the APP allows you to submit a request to change it. I sure hope that the
App developers contact the local compilers before doing any changes.
Otherwise, the historical census in a well-established CBC becomes useless.
My second issue is with the CBC map available on the NAS website. If the App
and the NAS data are interlinked, be aware of one glaring error with the NAS
map.
I take part in two local CBCs in Fort Worth, the Fort Worth CBC and Village
Creek Drying Beds CBC. I looked at the NAS CBC map and saw that the drawn
circles did not extend out as far as the Topo map we've used for many years.
I measured both of the local circles on the NAS website and discovered they
are drawn at 12.6 miles in diameter!?! I also looked at and measured five
other CBC circles in north Texas. All are shown as 12.6 miles in diameter. A
CBC circle is to be 15-miles in diameter.
If you use the NAS map or the App (if it has the same fault in its design),
be aware that you are losing over a full mile of the outer-radius in your
circle area.
I agree with Bush's comment: know your area.
I would add: if needed, go to the library and get a survey map that includes
your circle and draw the 15-mile circle onto it. If the library can't make
copies for you, write down the map number and hit the internet. I collected
these types of maps for many years. As recently as 2003, I purchased them
from various stores and government agencies. Stores that specialize in
hiking and other serious outdoor activities usually have local maps
available.

Jim Jones
Bedford, TX