[texbirds] Couch's at Smith Point

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tamie Bulow <Tamie.Bulow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 08:34:13 -0500

Hi all:

One of the first birds to greet me here this morning was an apparent Couch's
Kingbird.  It flew in from the east at 8:16 and I lost it from view in front of
me.  At 8:21, I found it flying again, whereupon it landed in one of the
dead-topped trees to the NNW.  Scope views provided reasonable looks at the
notched, greeny-brown tail; bright yellow belly meeting dirty white of throat
at top of chest; greenish back; and short, thick-base bill.  In fact, the bill
was so short that my very first impression of the bird was of a Western
Kingbird.  The bird flew off to the NW in company with another kingbird that I
could not ID, given the back-end-going-away look that I had.  They may have
stopped on FM 562, or may have gone down Smith Point.

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Smith Point, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at